Thursday, March 31, 2011

2011: High Expectations

We are finally only one day away from my boy Denard stepping into the box to get this season started.  Naturally, it's becoming harder and harder to concentrate on anything but Opening Day as it gets closer.  So, let's take a look at each position and let "hope spring eternal" as I lay down my expectations this season for each position/player.


Catcher: Joe Mauer
With Joe back after a questionable off-season regarding his injured knee, it's really hard to speculate what will happen this season with our favorite Minnesotan.  Last year most of us were disappointed with his power numbers, especially in Target Field.  This year I would expect another solid season hitting around .320 with 10 homers and 85 RBI.  He will have plenty of chances to drive in runs with Casilla, Span, and Nishioka flying around the bases consecutively before him.  I really don't mind if he doesn't hit more than 10 home runs, as I think we have enough power behind him to get runs on the board that way.  What I would really like to see more of is driving the ball to the opposite field for singles and doubles, staying out of the 4-6-3 double plays he seems to get himself into.  2011 might not be an MVP season for Mauer, but if healthy, will be one of his best.

First Base: Justin Morneau
Justin has had such a hard time making it through a full season these last few years that I believe this is the year he pushes through that annual 2nd half injury bug.  Gardy has made it clear that Morneau will get extra days off to stay rested and healthy throughout the season.  I expect Morneau to hit .300 with 30 home runs and 110 RBI.  This is going to be a great MVP-like season for the big Canadian, as he is out to prove that he is capable of being durable through an entire season.  We all know he can crush the ball, let's just make sure we can keep him in the lineup all season.

Second Base: Tsuyoshi Nishioka
Ahh, the Japanese sensation is here!  There aren't a lot of "experts" that expect a lot out of this guy in his first season in the big leagues, but I disagree here.  He obviously swung the bat very well in spring training (I know, spring means jack squat), but I also find it interesting that he and Ichiro are the only players to get 200 hits in a season over in Japan.  I've also read reports that he was somewhat bored over in Japan and maybe didn't concentrate as much in his younger days over there, and then blossomed when he made a deal with his club to allow him to come to the US if he had a good season.  He's growing up and his work-ethic and personality I believe will make him one of the best 2nd Basemen in the AL.  I'm going to say Nishi will hit .290, score about 90 runs, and hopefully steal about 30-35 bases.  I'm most excited about his baserunning ability and his smooth defense at 2nd.

Third Base: Danny Valencia
I, like many others, don't expect Valencia to have the same type of year he had last year, only because he was absolutely unbelievable last year!  The thing I like about our third baseman is that he's good, and he knows he's good.  Every time he steps into the box he thinks he's going to win the battle, no matter who the guy on the mound is.  To have a guy like this hitting 8th every night will be pretty impressive.  If his defense continues to improve, he could be one of the best 3B in the AL someday.  I would expect Valencia's average to drop to around .275 this year, but I won't be surprised to see him hit 18-20 home runs along with 35 doubles.  He will be solid, just not the same as his rookie season.

Short Stop: Alexi Casilla
I love the changes we made up the middle this year going with the speed and quickness of Casilla and Nishioka.  Not only with this improve our defense, but ignite what was a non-existent running game last year.  My favorite part about Casilla being in the every day lineup is that this guy always seems to come up with the big plays at the end of the game (see: Game 163 vs. Tigers, etc.).  On top of that, he is a blast to watch out in the field (see: Web Gems 2010 courtesy ESPN).  Hitting in the 9-hole, Casilla should hit .270, and I would like to see him swipe 25-30 bases and score 80-90 runs.

Left Field: Delmon Young
My "pick to click" on Lavelle's blog yesterday was Delmon.  I just think this guy has all the tools offensively to have his best season yet.  Assuming he is healthy, I think there is a good chance DY leads this team in home runs and RBI this season the way he crushes the ball.  Although he may be somewhat of a liability with his awkwardness out in left, he will more than make up for it at the plate.  I think he will be right in that .295 range, but I truly expect him to hit 35 home runs this year, and drive in 115-120 runs.

Center Field: Denard Span
My favorite Twin Denard obviously had a down year last year according to everyone, including himself.  Joe Christensen had a great article in today's Star Tribune about the leadoff hitter, and it really impressed me how much effort this guy puts in to improve, even in the off days.  What I love is that Denard believes in himself, and yet he is never satisfied with his production.  2011 is going to be a great comeback year for Mr. Span as his confidence grows.  I'm going to say that Span will hit .290 this year with 12 triples and, like Nishioka, steal 30-35 bags.

Right Field/every other position: Michael Cuddyer
Much has been said about this being a "contract year" for Cuddyer and that he should have a big year.  My opinion is that Michael is going to be Michael.  I don't think he ever takes a day off, and we will get the most out of him every day and every season.  His contract won't effect his play, because he has always been one to play hard no matter the situation.  I would expect another .270 season, hitting 25 homers and driving in 85 runs while playing any and every position on the field.  It will be another solid season out of Cuddyer.

Designated Hitter: Jason Kubel/Jim Thome
Kubel and Thome pack as much punch as any DH in the game.  With Thome another year older, I don't know that he will be able to duplicate his 2010 season.  Kubel, on the other hand, I have a feeling will bounce back and have a very good season coming off a somewhat disappointing 2010 campaign.  Both will get plenty of playing time as injuries and scheduled rest come around for Mauer and Morneau.  I can see Thome mostly coming off the bench to hit 20 home runs, and Kubel I would expect to hit .285 this year hitting 25 home runs and driving in 90 runs.

Starting Pitching: Pavano/Liriano/Duensing/Blackburn/Baker/Slowey/Gibson
I love the depth we have in our rotation this year, going all the way down to Kyle Gibson.  As injuries come up with the first 5 guys, Slowey and Gibson will be able to step up without missing a beat.  I expect some ups and downs with each of these guys, but overall we will be very solid in our rotation.  Every one of this guys is capable of controlling any lineup in the league, and at the same time each one will probably go through a slump or two throughout 162 games.  I expect many quality starts out of all of them, and they will keep us in enough games to take 2 out of 3 from anyone on our schedule.  If I had one worry, it's not knowing what we might get out of Liriano.  This could be a 20-win, Cy Young type season for him; or it could be an 8 win 5.00+ ERA type season depending on where his head is at.

Bullpen: Nathan/Capps/Mijares/Slowey/Hughes/Manship/Perkins
This is my biggest question mark on this team.  I love Joe Nathan, but there is a long history of guys taking 2 years to fully recover from TJ surgery, and that scares me.  Although Capps is good, I'm skeptical that he will not let me down in the 9th inning of some games that we really need within our division (White Sox/Tigers).  It sounds like Slowey has really thrown the ball well this spring, and the same is being said of Hughes and Manship.  I never know what to expect out of Mijares and Perkins, but we do have some depth in the minors with guys like Kyle Waldrop and Carlos Gutierrez.  I saw Gutierrez pitch yesterday, and was impressed by his sinker, but that guy cannot find the strike zone to save his life!  Someone will need to step up out in the pen, but it makes me feel better to know that somehow our bullpen always reloads with guys unexpectedly pitching well every year (see: Gurrier, Crain, Reyes, etc.).

Minnesota Twins:
I expect nothing less than a Central Division Championship in 2011 from my favorite Nine.  We should put a lot of crooked numbers up on the scoreboard, and that bodes well for our starting pitching as they will be able to pitch agressively every night.  I see the Yankees having somewhat of a down year this year as they continue to get older, so a run to the World Series is not out of the question!  Hey, the Giants won it last year, why can't the Twins do it this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment