Saturday, May 7, 2011

Alexi Casilla: The Last Days

Let me just begin by saying that I have always been all for giving Alexi Casilla as many chances as possible to prove himself to be a regular middle infielder for the Twins.  I love the kid and the excitement he brings out in the field and on the basepaths.  In the next week or two, however, we will find out if this is the end of Alexi Casilla in a Twins uniform.  This would be somewhat disappointing to me - up until the last week or two, when I think of Alexi Casilla I think of diving stops and game-winning hits in Game 163.  The start of this season, both offensively and defensively, has been unbearable for Casilla.  Tsuyoshi Nishioka is on his way back here in the next few weeks, and with Trevor Plouffe getting his shot, this could be a life-changing time for Alexi Casilla.  As I write this, I see Luke Hughes is in the lineup today playing second base as Casilla gets the day off.


Gardy has made it clear that Nishioka will be in the lineup when he returns.  Knowing that Thome will be back soon as well, if Plouffe plays well, Casilla may be the odd man out.  I could see the club playing Plouffe at short, Nishioka at second, and having a bench that includes Thome, Tolbert (utility), Rivera/Butera when Mauer comes back, and Repko/Tosoni/Revere.  With Casilla currently out of options, he would have to clear waivers to make it to Rochester to stay in the organization.  I don't know what the chances are of a guy getting claimed who is hitting .173, has been shaky in the field, and seems to crumble any time he gets a chance to play everyday.  However, I would be willing to bet that some team would give this guy one more chance to at least be a utility player.

Obviously, this will all depend on how Plouffe plays with the opportunity he has been given, but if he does it will be very interesting to see how the Twins handle the middle infield situation.  What do you think we should do when Nishioka comes back?  What do we do with the combination of Plouffe/Nishioka/Casilla/Tolbert/Hughes?  I honestly like all of these guys in different ways - I am glad I am not Bill Smith.  Wait.  No.  I wish I was Bill Smith.  Talk about a dream job...

2 comments:

  1. Trade Casilla for a real backup catcher....nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Plouffe sticks. I'm done with Casilla.

    ReplyDelete