Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mr. Killebrew

Harmon Killebrew passed away this morning at the age of 74 from esophageal cancer.  Unfortunately I am too young to have ever seen The Killer wear the Twins uniform, but everything I have ever seen, read, or heard tells me that this was an unbelievable man.  I was listening to the postgame show on Sunday as people were calling in telling stories of what they remember from Harmon.  The way he treated others, whether you were a teammate or just a fan, was very unlike most athletes today. 

I heard one story of a guy who caught Harmon after a game and asked him for an autograph.  Realizing he had left his pen up in the bleachers, he asked Mr. Killebrew to wait there so he could run back and get his pen.  When he came back there were 30 people lined up to get his autograph too, in the same spot where he had left Harmon waiting.  He talked to each person in line that day, and probably made 30 memories that will never be forgotten.

I never met Harmon Killebrew, but I sure do appreciate him.  Pray for his family today, as this is obviously a very tough time in their lives.  I hope I will get a chance to meet Harmon Killebrew someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment